Southwest Elementary School sits at the corner of 99th Street and Central Park Avenue. Denise Thomas serves as the principal and encourages students to "Do your Bulldog Best" (a motto modeled after the School's mascot) and to "be respectable, be responsible and be safe."
Students at Southwest are challenged with a thorough curriculum that includes special-education classes for grades Kindergarten through three. Southwest Elementary School won the 2009 Academic Excellence Award. If students choose to pick up extracurricular activities, they may participate in any of the NSNS sports, student council or the Green Team environmental group.
Southwest parents are encouraged to stay active with the sports, field trips and special performances that the students put on for the community.
- Fax: 708-229-8416
- Hours: Office: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4pm; Sat - Sun, closed; School: Mon - Fri, 8:20am - 4pm; Sat - Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Entrance is at street level.
- Number of students: 361
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: Illinois State Board of Education Certified, Special Education certified teachers, Illinois State certified teachers
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 43
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The community is welcome to attend public performances. The parent group stays involved in community initiatives.
- What makes this community special?: "Evergreen is a small little community. Everyone is involved, everybody knows everybody," said Therese O'Toole, Southwest Elementary School secretary.
- Grade levels: Kindergarten - 6
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Computer lab, Infirmary, Library
- Extracurricular activities available: Sports, Student Council, Green Team environmental group
- Sports teams: Volleyball, basketball