First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Evergreen Park. Established in 1893 by student pastors from Northwestern University, today one of its main goals is to "open doors for all God's children to actualize our potential in Jesus Christ; Praise, Study and Service."
As a staple in the community, First United Methodist Church places a strong emphasis on doing God's work in the community through its programs, services and outreach efforts across the city. The church supports agencies including the Village Food Pantry, ChildServ, Red Bird Mission and United Methodist Committee on Relief. The church also rents out its space for nonprofit groups.
Some of the more than 75 ministries and services include the adult, teen and children's Bible Studies, Teddy Bear Ministry, Trunk & Treat for Halloween, and a Stewardship Drive. Members regularly volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House Charities, WTTW Phone-a-thons and the Brookfield Zoo. Church service is held Sundays at 10:15am, with adult Bible study directly after, from 11:45am - 1pm. Bible study for teens and children is on Tuesdays from 8pm - 9pm.
- Fax: 708-422-8452
- Hours: Office: Mon - Fri, 9am - 1pm. Sunday morning service: 10:15am
- Handicap Accessible: There is a ramp at the entrance.
- Founding Date: 1893
- What makes this community special?: "It's really a caring place where people can put their hands on with their faith," said the church's pastor, Rev. Timothy Biel, Jr.
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Denomination: United Methodist Church
- Congregation size: 300
- Services: Choir/music programs
- Recreational facilities: No