The results are in – Mayor Rahm Emanuel is the Chicago notable most in need of a good night’s sleep, according to data from Sleepy's, The Mattress Professionals. Nearly a quarter of Chicagoans polled are convinced that the mayor never sleeps, while 41 percent say he “occasionally” has the chance to doze off. An overwhelming majority of respondents (77 percent) attribute Mayor Emanuel’s lack of shuteye to his “tremendously high-pressure job”, and 19 percent say that he always looks like he’s in need of a nap!
Bedding Down with the Rich and Famous
Respondents ranked ten famous Chicagoans – including media personalities, high-profile coaches, designers, actors, and more – in order of sleepiest to most well-rested, below, with Mayor Emanuel ranking as the sleepiest Chicagoan and Vince Vaughn as the luminary who likely catches the most zzz’s every night.
- Rahm Emanuel, Mayor
- Joel Quenneville, Chicago Blackhawks Coach
- Tom Ricketts, Chairman of the Chicago Cubs
- George McCaskey, Chairman of the Chicago Bears
- Desiree Rogers, Former Social Secretary to President Obama
- Ikram Goldman, Designer and owner of ikram
- Val Warner, Co-Host of Windy City Live
- Bill Wrigley, Current Chairman and former CEO of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company
- Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls Point Guard
- Vince Vaughn, Actor
Across the board, respondents cite high-profile jobs – and the responsibilities that come along with them – as the main reason that these notable names need sleep. The exception is Vince Vaughn; the majority of those polled (54%) blame any lack of sleep on his eye-opening social life.
“Sleep for these Chicago icons may be challenged by the pressures of their responsibilities, yet they have an opportunity to become sleep savvy role models for their fellow Chicagoans” said Sleepy’s consultant and Chicago native Nancy Rothstein, The Sleep Ambassador. She added, “The city that sleeps well lives well.”
Rothstein has several tips for getting a better night’s sleep. Her tips benefit all Chicagoans, as more than half (59%) say the quality of their sleep is less than adequate, and only 5% say their sleep is of “excellent quality.” The Sleep Ambassador's top tips include:
- Make sleep a priority. Your judgment, decision making and mood will be all the better. People will notice and be inspired by you.
- Make your bedroom your sleep sanctuary, not your auxiliary office or entertainment center... even to watch a Vince Vaughn movie!
- Empty your head when you go to bed. Don't bring your work worries to sleep with you.
- Don't look at the clock if you awaken during the night. You look at it enough during the day. Surrender to slumber and minimize sleep anxiety.
- As you lay in bed, go through a list of things you are grateful for, and you will likely have more to appreciate tomorrow.
How the Rest of the City Sleeps
When asked what keeps them from sleeping soundly every night, two thirds (67 percent) of respondents say their health or other personal issues are a major obstacle. An old, uncomfortable mattress came in second at 26 percent, followed closely by those who stay up worrying about the next day’s work assignments (25 percent). Sixty percent of participants think that the key to sleeping like a baby is to stop worrying so much, and 22 percent say better bedding would help guarantee a better night’s sleep.
Top 100 retailer Sleepy’s opened 10 stores in the greater Chicago area in late June, marking the brand’s first foray outside of the East Coast. The flagship Chicago location is located at 5300 North Broadway.
*The survey, conducted via phone by Toluna PLC, was a national census sample of 532 Chicago respondents over the age of 18. The survey was in the field from June 25 – June 28, 2013.
Sleepy's®, The Mattress Professionals,® is a privately-owned fourth-generation company with over 900 retail locations in fifteen states, spanning from Maine to North Carolina, and now Illinois, and available nationally through www.sleepys.com. Sleepy's has 10 state-of-the-art distribution centers located throughout the country and delivers over 3,000 mattresses every day.
Throughout Sleepy's’ 55-year history, the company has remained committed to making everything possible with a great night’s sleep with its extensive selection of America’s top brands, including Sealy Posturepedic, Simmons Beautyrest, Stearns & Foster and more. Their innovative sleep products include the latest in cooling gel, latex and memory foam mattresses, like the world-famous Tempur-Pedic. Sleepy’s fast delivery service ensures you won’t have to wait to get a better night’s sleep, and their knowledgeable mattress professionals will guide you to your perfect mattress. Sleepy’s is nationally accessible through Sleepys.com. Sleepy’s – making everything possible with a great night’s sleep.