, ComEd offers tips on how to reduce energy use and save on energy bills.
- Lights out. Turn off unused lighting and appliances. Replace traditional incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs, which use about 75 percent less energy.
- Be a grill guru. Use an outdoor grill or microwave to prepare meals. Run appliances, such as ovens, dishwashers and clothes dryers, in the early morning or late evenings.
- Stay cool. Keep home thermostats at a constant, comfortable level (75-78 degrees). Keep blinds and curtains closed and use fans to reduce air conditioners’ energy usage and place air conditioners in shady areas.
- Keep away. Move lamps and televisions away from the thermostat, the heat they generate can cause air conditioners to work harder.
- Get paid to save. Use energy-efficient appliances which use less energy than older models. ComEd will pick up and recycle older refrigerators or freezers in good, working condition and pay customers $35 for each appliance. Schedule online or call 1-888-806-2273.
For more energy-saving tips, visit ComEd's Smart Ideas Section.