Welcome to Cooking with Chef Kate, where will share with you tasty recipes to try in your home.
One of my comfort foods! The house smells great and you can change up the veggies to whatever is lurking in the fridge. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do- it’s like a big hug from me to you!
Polenta with Ratatouille
4 cups water
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tble olive oil
1 cup cornmeal
15 oz diced tomatoes, drained
1 medium eggplant, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 medium green pepper, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat and slowly whisk in the cornmeal. Keep stirring for 15-20 minutes or until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Spread the polenta into a greased 8×8 baking pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, saute your vegetables in the olive oil until the onion starts to brown. Stir in the spices and salt and pepper to taste. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Now to cook the polenta! Slice the polenta into squares. In a non stick pan, warm a few tablespoons of olive oil and pan fry the polenta squares. Once they are golden brown, turn and cook the other side. It takes about 10 minutes to get them golden on both sides. Place them on the plate while warm with the ratatouille over the top.
- This is a great winter or summer meal. I rotate the vegetables to go with the seasons. I always make extra for the most wonderful lunch the next day. It reheats in the microwave so easily.
Catch my cooking classes at Prairie Trails Library on March 6 at 6:30 p.m. (Irish cuisine) or at on March 8 at 6:30 p.m. I am at the on March 13 at 7 p.m. (Brunch). Call the libraries to sign up. Some charge a small fee.
This is part of the Feb. 24 edition of Cooking with Chef Kate.