Television news can show you how quickly boiling water freezes when you throw it into the air, and the folks at the big papers are busy taking pictures of frazzled commuters and asking them about their travels.
I thought I would take a different approach and put these bone chilling temperatures into perspective for you.
- The moment this story was published the temperature at the North Pole was 16 degrees with a wind chill of 6 degrees. In Chicago the temperature is -10 degrees with a wind chill of -35. You read that right. It's warmer at the North Pole.
- Lincoln Park Zoo officials have decided that the outdoor temperatures are too low for their polar bear Anana. Zoo staff have decided to keep the majestic snow beast inside so as too avoid the adverse effects of the chilly temperatures. That's right, a creature designed by evolution for survival in the Earth's harshest climates is not fit to stay outside.
- The Cook County Sheriff's Office decided that it's not even worth driving prisoners out to the courthouses for their court dates.
- Temperatures were so cold that the wintry Lake Michigan waters were actually steaming when greeted with today's arctic air. Side note, that poor duck.
- Chicago Public Schools actually cancelled school. Twice.
- Apparently the sky is just randomly glowing. I have no idea what the hell that's about.
- In just five minutes, frostbite can begin to set in on any areas of skin left uncovered.