Start the new year off right by not getting a DUI or into a wreck. These local cab companies offer their services 24/7 and are eager to get you home on New Year's Eve safe and sound. You driver will appreciate your business and your tip.
Unfortunately, Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park won’t be participating in the New Year's Eve Safe Ride Home program. Residents of Palos Heights, Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena and New Lenox can call Stretch Limo Chicago at 1-855-230-1637 for a free ride home, but only from establishments within the participating towns. The program is funded by a $1,500 grant from the Michael P. Gordon Foundation and the aforementioned municipalities.
Plug these numbers into your phone before you go out. If the line is busy, try again, or go down the list, but don't risk driving home drunk. Make your reservations early.
- O'Brien's Taxi Co. 773-600-3469
- Metro Checker Cab 708-499-4222
- Suburban Taxi 708-425-8294
- McNamara Cab Co. 708-499-5777
- American Taxi 708-424-7878
- American Choice Taxi - 708-425-8294
- US Taxi Service - (708) 496-3513
- Rahman Cab Inc. - (708) 237-0364
- A&A Express - (708) 425-7692
- US Taxi Services II - (708) 233-1328
- American Family Taxi & Limo - (708) 510-0109
- Chicago Ridge Cab - (708) 422-2222
- Ram's Cab Company - (773) 849-9777
Free CTA Rides New Year's Eve
If you're going to be in the city, the CTA is offering penny rides on CTA trains and buses beginning 10 p.m. New Year's Eve to 4 a.m. New Year's Day.
This year, the CTA is waiving the penny altogether. MillerCoors brewing company is picking up the tab for the 25-year-old penny ride program, which means riders can ride free on New Year's Eve.
The program is aimed at combating drunk driving but also preventing pedestrian accidents. New Year’s Day in Chicago was found as the deadliest day of the year for walkers, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Patch has updated the "Safe Ride Home" program with new information.